Re: SQL*Net expire_time parameter

From: <driverm_at_dms.state.fl.us>
Date: 1995/07/23

In article <3ugdh6$es0_at_caesar.ultra.net>, rblizard_at_bb.cmcsys.com (Bob Blizard) writes:

>I am trying to figure out how the SQL*Net V2 parameter
>SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME works. I know that I can set a value in minutes for
>it, and that it uses tcp's keepalive to check for a connection and
>keep or kill the connection.
>
>What I don't know, and haven't seen explained clearly, is this; If my
>PC crashes and I reboot and reconnect within the time of my
>expire_time parameter, Will SQL*Net know that my PC went away? In
>other words, does it check using session or process id, or simply
>using ip address?
>
>I am hoping it is the former, since we need to be able to kill dropped
>connections which may have row-level locks on them from SELECT... FOR
>UPDATE statements. If it is the latter, people would have to stay
>completely off until after the expire_time passes.

Unfortunately its the later. Its my understanding that Oracle only manages the connections from a session id perpective. If you explicitly lock the rows they will stay locked until the expire time runs out.

If you connect again from the same host, Oracle doesn't care it's just another connection and it could be from any client as far as the servers concerned.

Mark Driver
driverm_at_dms.state.fl.us Received on Sun Jul 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message