Re: DBA Job Description, anyone?

From: Marta Lord <marta1_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/06/13

In <3rb1s5$1rb_at_spot.YKnet.yk.ca> "Mike Kohut, NorthwesTel" <mkohutnw_at_yknet.yk.ca> writes:

>whitney_at_en.com (Nancy C. Whitney) wrote:
>> I need to put together a job description for an Oracle DBA. Does
>> anyone have a job description for such a position?

I just went through such an exercise myself. Let me know if this helps.

>POSITION OVERVIEW
The Database Administrator is responsible for the database design, performing or checking sizing results, recommending requisite system software and storage devices, advising on data issues, and implementing the test/production databases/files. The Database Administrator is responsible for providing technical and organizational leadership for the database environment, as well as providing Information Services with a long term perspective on the relationship of database technology to the business opportunities facing the company.

JOB DIMENSIONS The incumbent does not have accountability for people or budgets.

NATURE AND SCOPE The Database Administrator reports to (?? a topic of debate ??).

Note: This position involves the activities listed below. The activities marked with an asterisk (*) are those on which the incumbent spends the most time.

The responsibilities of the incumbent include:

       installing and upgrading the database server and application
       tools.
       allocating system storage and planning future storage
       requirements for the database system.
*	resolving database related problems.
	creating primary database storage structures (tablespaces).
	creating primary objects (tables, views, indexes).
	modifying primary objects, as necessary, from information given
       by the application developers.
	providing strategic planning for database technology
       implementation in the client/server environment.
	enrolling users and maintaining system security.
	ensuring compliance with database license agreements.
	controlling and monitoring user access to the database.
*	monitoring and optimizing the performance of the database.
*	planning for backup, recovery and fault tolerance of database
       information.
	maintaining archived data.
	maintaining the dictionary repositories.
	recognizing and identifying potential areas where existing
       policies and procedures require change, or where new ones need
       to be developed, especially regarding future business expansion.
	backing up and restoring the database.
	contacting database vendors for technical support.
	developing and maintaining database standards and conventions.
	analyzing impact of data changes.
	recommending shared data strategies.
	planning for data replication strategies.

The incumbent, with others, is responsible to:
  	interact with Applications, Technical Services and Operations
       during the design, build and implementation of applications.
       This includes resolution of scheduling, operational and change
       control problems and procedures.
	assisting developers in application performance tuning.
	assisting in the evaluation of vendor-supplied software
       packages.
	provide database response and availability as needed to support
       database applications.
	attend and participate in local and national user groups.
	participate with vendors in the assessment of advanced
       transaction processing and 	database productions.  This includes
       beta and field test participation.

OTHER REQUIREMENTS
This position requires 5 - 7 years of database experience, three with relational databases and transaction processing systems, plus a college degree or the equivalent. The ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing is critical for this position. Also required is the ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience. Received on Tue Jun 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message