Re: Tablespace is full ... now what??

From: The Surf Report <surfin_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1995/06/13

Parris Geiser (parris_at_walleye.esp.bellcore.com) wrote:
: I created a tablespace for a user ... 10M.
: The user just wanted to test some scripts that created and then dropped
: tables. The problem is, that after a while, the tablespace gets full.
: The table create script does allocate min extents of 1. The user never
: puts any data into the tables. Just creates and then drops.
: Why do the extents stay around?
: Even after I dropped the user the extents didn't go away???

: It would seem that this should be a trivial thing but am having no
: luck trying to resolve.

: I suppose that I could drop the tablespace and re-create but that is a pain
: since I may not be around when this user needs to do this, etc.

: What am I missing??

: Thanks for suggestions,
: parris

Make sure that the user in question is using the same size extents for all the tables they are createing. If earlier tables used smaller extents and the whole tablespace is now full of them, it may be finding it hard to allocate a larger sized extent.

The solution is probably to make all the table creations use the same storage clauses (especially initial), or make them all use the default storage clause for the tablespace. If they are empty tables, they should only create one extent each, and different tables should be able to re-use the same extents as they are the same size.

To compress the extents for the tabelspace again you could export and import the database.

Hope this helps, Received on Tue Jun 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message