Re: Newbie: How to Backup Data?

From: Sean Poulter <spoulter_at_ksi.co.za>
Date: 1995/06/13

doknjas_at_newsserver.sfu.ca (Victoria Jung) wrote:

>My question is: how to you do part 2? What operating system command?
>What backup utility (does Oracle supply one)?

You would use an operating system command that makes an exact image backup of the oracle tablespace files, and an exact image restore.

Beware of compressing the files it is not always a good idea,

Beware of some versions of tar /cpio and third party backup tools, on most Unix systems, tar and cpio do not produce sparce files, but some third-party utilities may produce sparce files, and should not be used for backup of Oracle datafiles.

Oracle does not provide one for you. Received on Tue Jun 13 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message