Re: Newbie: How to Backup Data?

From: John Kline <jkline_at_iconstl.net>
Date: 1995/06/11

In article <doknjas.802813928_at_sfu.ca>,

   doknjas_at_newsserver.sfu.ca (Victoria Jung) wrote:

>My question is: how to you do part 2? What operating system command?
>What backup utility (does Oracle supply one)?

You have to use whatever utilities come with your system to do your backup. Note that the ALTER TABLESPACE tablespace BEGIN/END BACKUP; is only necessary if you are doing online (live) backups. If your database is shutdown then you can just copy the database files.

Important things to remember for Oracle backups: 1. Your database should be running in archivelog mode. 2. Backup ALL your tablespaces (including any tablespaces created by oracle such as system, user, tools, etc.)

3. Backup your control file
4. Backup your initSID.ora file
5. Backup the archive logs generated since the last backup.

I use the cpio and dd UNIX utilities in a script to backup by database online every night. I use cpio to copy the tablespace (located on a raw partition) to a staging area. I then use dd to copy the file to tape. After all the tablespaces are done I copy the control file, archive logs and initSID.ora.

John Kline | .sig under construction jtkline_at_icon-stl.net | Received on Sun Jun 11 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message