Re: How to display full text of views

From: Tony Damon <ardamon_at_srv.PacBell.COM>
Date: 1995/04/27

In article 1n1a_at_rover.ucs.ualberta.ca, chanson_at_gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca (Curtis Hanson) writes:
>wo_at_dialog.se (Wilhelm Olander) writes:
>
>>In article <JOHNS.95Apr14154436_at_adwyer.gsfc.nasa.gov>,
>>johns_at_adwyer.gsfc.nasa.gov says...
>>>
>>>This statement:
>>>
>>>select text from user_views;
>>>
>>>is giving me results like this:
>>>
>>>select de_source.de_id, source_map.source_short, source_map.source_name
>>> from md

..deleted

>>The default displaylength of LONG is not very long. Try using
>>SQL> SET LONG 1000
>>to get more of your source. BTW Often the ARRAYSIZE has to be redused
>>when fetching wide records from sqlplus.
>

>Uh.. something a bit more accurate...
>
>Try
>
> SET LINESIZE 200 ( or something ) similar...
>
>What is happening is that Oracle is truncating the display of your
>text because the linesize (or line length) is too short. Your other
>option would be to liberally insert carriage returns after about 60 or
>so characters during the creation of the view... for example...

..deleted

I believe the first reply is correct. Unless you have TRUNC set on the view_name column, Oracle will wrap the text down as many lines as necessary (subject to the SET LONG nnnn limit) to display the column's value (view_name).

15:43:10 CORA>set linesize 80
15:43:26 CORA>set long 20
15:43:32 CORA>select text from all_views where view_name = 'ALL_VIEWS';

TEXT

select u.name, o.nam

15:43:48 CORA>set long 60
15:44:12 CORA>select text from all_views where view_name = 'ALL_VIEWS';

TEXT

select u.name, o.name, v.textlength, v.text from sys.obj$ o,

15:44:18 CORA>set linesize 20
15:44:27 CORA>select text from all_views where view_name = 'ALL_VIEWS';

TEXT

select u.name, o.nam
e, v.textlength, v.t
ext
from sys.obj$ o,

15:44:30 CORA>spool off

Tony Damon
ardamon_at_pacbell.com Received on Thu Apr 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message