Re: How to display full text of views

From: Curtis Hanson <chanson_at_gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca>
Date: 1995/04/26

wo_at_dialog.se (Wilhelm Olander) writes:

>In article <JOHNS.95Apr14154436_at_adwyer.gsfc.nasa.gov>,
>johns_at_adwyer.gsfc.nasa.gov says...
>>
>>This statement:
>>
>>select text from user_views;
>>
>>is giving me results like this:
>>
>>select de_source.de_id, source_map.source_short, source_map.source_name
>> from md
>>

>>for a view that was created like this:
>>
>>create view source_name(de_id, source_short, source_name) as
>> select de_source.de_id, source_map.source_short, source_map.source_name
>> from mddba.source_map, mddba.de_source
>> where source_map.source_name = de_source.source_name;
>>

>>Where is the rest of my text? How can I see it? I feel like I'm
>>missing something obvious.
>>

>The default displaylength of LONG is not very long. Try using
>SQL> SET LONG 1000
>to get more of your source. BTW Often the ARRAYSIZE has to be redused
>when fetching wide records from sqlplus.

Uh.. something a bit more accurate...

Try

        SET LINESIZE 200 ( or something ) similar...

What is happening is that Oracle is truncating the display of your text because the linesize (or line length) is too short. Your other option would be to liberally insert carriage returns after about 60 or so characters during the creation of the view... for example...

create view source_name(de_id, source_short, source_name) as {CR}

        select de_source.de_id, {CR}
               source_map.source_short, {CR}
               source_map.source_name {CR}
        from   mddba.source_map, mddba.de_source {CR}
         where source_map.source_name = de_source.source_name;