Re: Oracle 7 cannot have concurrent updates & queries ???

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1995/04/12

In article <3mfltt$mvt_at_krel.iea.com> caelus_at_comtch.iea.com (Caelus) writes:
>From: caelus_at_comtch.iea.com (Caelus)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Re: Oracle 7 cannot have concurrent updates & queries ???
>Date: 12 Apr 1995 04:45:49 GMT

>Lionel Lee (lionell_at_sp.ac.sg) wrote:
>: The Oracle 7 application developers at our site have been writing apps
>: which perform massive updates and we encountered database deadlocks
>: frequently when concurrent updates (& queries) are attempted on the
>: same table. So we even resort to queueing these Oracle apps via the
>: flaky cron/at subsystem which reduces our multiprocessor SPARCcenter
>: Unix mutiuser environment into an inefficient batch processing "single
>: user" a-job-at-a-time environment.

>: So is it true that Oracle RDBMS does not support concurrent updates or
>: rather what is wrong here??? Please kindly advise...

>Define "massive updatse" please.

>Regards,
>Larry Jones _at_
>Caelus, Inc.

You cannot have one process update rows 1 thru 50,000 in a table and expect that a second process to also update any of those rows at the same time if the first process does not issue a commit or rollback. How would it know what to do since process one has not ended it's transaction? There is no reasonable default. I suspect that your transactions are very long.

I know of no database that will allow that type of behavior. Some just autocommit on every statement (no rollback available).

Jim Kennedy Received on Wed Apr 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message