Oracle 7 cannot have concurrent updates & queries ???

From: Lionel Lee <lionell_at_sp.ac.sg>
Date: 1995/04/07

The Oracle 7 application developers at our site have been writing apps which perform massive updates and we encountered database deadlocks frequently when concurrent updates (& queries) are attempted on the same table. So we even resort to queueing these Oracle apps via the flaky cron/at subsystem which reduces our multiprocessor SPARCcenter Unix mutiuser environment into an inefficient batch processing "single user" a-job-at-a-time environment.

So is it true that Oracle RDBMS does not support concurrent updates or rather what is wrong here??? Please kindly advise...

All advices are most welcome - especially from Oracle Corp or Oracle experts.

Please kindly forward your advise via email to lionell_at_sp.ac.sg I will summarise & repost the relevant replies to this newsgroup.

Lionel Lee
Computer Center
Singapore Polytechnic Received on Fri Apr 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message