Re: Oracle SGA size & Client 'shadow process' size.

From: Norm Soley - That's MISTER Unix geek to you <soley_at_trop32.enet.dec.com>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 15:05:19 GMT

In article <602953881wnr_at_empire.demon.co.uk> Alan_at_empire.demon.co.uk writes:

>Each user has a 'shadow process' that 'connects' them to the database,
>this appears to be 11MB in size and scales in proportion to the size of
>the SGA. Can anyone out there tell my what the link is (should be?)
>between the size of the SGA and the size of the client when they are
>both 'hosted' on the same machine? Is there anything that can be done
>to reduce the size of the client process(es) without also reducing the SGA?

You're seeing a side effect of the way some UNIX's report memory size. The SGA is shared memory that is mapped into the process space of each of the shadow processes. Your shadow process is not actually consuming a unique 11MB chunk of memory. It's including the SGA in the number you see.

You have a 8MB SGA and 10 users and each shadow process shows as 11MB what you acutally have consumed is 8+10*(11-8) MB not 8+10*11 MB.

--
Norm Soley, Chief understander of SAP R/3, Digital System Integration/Canada
soley_at_trooa.enet.dec.com