Oracle SGA size & Client 'shadow process' size.

From: Alan Knight <Alan_at_empire.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 17:48:33 +0000

You'll have to excuse this question as I am far from being an expert on oracle. I have installed Oracle 6.0.37 on a Solaris 2.4 system with an SGA size of approx 40MB. The 'clients' are all 'local' forms 3.0 being run over telnet terminal emulation on the same sun.

Each user has a 'shadow process' that 'connects' them to the database, this appears to be 11MB in size and scales in proportion to the size of the SGA. Can anyone out there tell my what the link is (should be?) between the size of the SGA and the size of the client when they are both 'hosted' on the same machine? Is there anything that can be done to reduce the size of the client process(es) without also reducing the SGA?

--
Alan Knight

alan_at_empire.demon.co.uk