Bringing up a single tablespace of a large database

From: Frank Peters <fwp_at_CC.MsState.Edu>
Date: 14 Mar 1995 21:49:31 -0600

Hello,

A few days ago one of our programmers wiped a single table (loaded some new data with a replace option instead of an append option). This table is relatively independent of others and we don't have enough disk space available to restore an entire copy of the database. I'm seeking an alternative to entering all updates to this table in the last month again.

On another system with identical software I have restored the various system tablespace files, control files, index tablespace and data tablespace in which the table resided. The other nine tablespaces associated with this database are what I lack the space to restore.

I can startup and mount the database but, obviously, I can't open it because it wants the other datafiles. The commands open to me at this point are very limited. I can't mark tablespaces as offline or drop them. The oracle documentation doesn't appear to suggest a way to recover this database without a copy of all of the datafiles (or at least room to create them and logs).

So the question is obvious. Does anyone know of a way to bring this database up with none of the unneeded datafiles available so that I can export (or select * from) one table within one tablespace? Or are we doomed to rekey this data?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Frank Peters - UNIX Systems Group Leader - Mississippi State University
fwp_at_CC.MsState.Edu - 601-325-7030 - FAX: 601-325-8921