Re: Oracle/Unix/Netware???

From: <flachan_at_ibm.net>
Date: 3 Feb 1995 23:18:21 GMT

In <3gtskd$h39_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>, holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:
>rono_at_cais2.cais.com (Ron Olshavsky) writes:
>
>>Hey all,

>> Anyone tell me how ORACLE 7 running on an IBM AIX box can be gotten to
>>by users logging into a Multi-Netware 3.12 server WAN?

You have quite a few options here.

> One way is to load a TCP/IP stack on each PC and use
> the TCP/IP version of SQL*Net to access the database.
> Aside from the SQL*Net component, one can obtain
> the necessary TCP/IP stuff for virtually $NILL.
> For example, we use a shareware packet driver on top of the
> ODI stack on the PC.
>
> The only UNIX I know that speaks IPX/SPX is UnixWare.
> There might be others . . . .

Actually, we are using an HP 9000/827 here with Portable Netware. The portable netware runs on top of HP-UX and allows for the users to connect to the Oracle database using IPX/SPX. Unfortunately, portable netware on the HP-UX is unstable and I wouldn't recommend this solution. You could also simply buy the Multiprotocol Interchange from Oracle, load that on a Netware server that has TCP/IP loaded and have your users communicate to the database through Multiprotocol Interchange. The only thing about this is that you *have* to be using SQL*NET V2. This won't work with SQL*NET V1.

Francois Lachance
Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation. Received on Sat Feb 04 1995 - 00:18:21 CET

Original text of this message