This group is too large.....the story continues

From: Andrew <ajb_at_iinet.com.au>
Date: 4 Feb 1995 04:08:59 GMT

rpalanov_at_ix.netcom.com mailled :

>We've been talking about breaking it up for a long time now. Several
>topics were suggested. What does it take to do it - anyone. Where do we >start, who should do it etc. Rita P.

Well the creation of new news groups needs a vote looks the place to start and that needs someone to do the leg work on it. I have never done it and it needs someone who has done it, or someone willing to help who has done it. The other thing is to rename or drop this news group to fit in with the new structure.

has anyone in the news group done it before and is willing to spend the time doing this if it all goes ahead.?????

iain posted :

>It's a sensible division of the field. But we could do a lot, without
>splitting the group, if people would use the subject lines of their
>postings to indicate divisions of this sort - also platform.

This is also good a good idea, BUT :-) voluntry standards only work if i) everyone knows about them; ii) everyone uses them. The know about them part would be OK if they where put in a Posting FAQ that was short and only about posting. Everyone using them...well it might work and it might get you better returns to posts if a subject line like : "DBA < Whats the best way to backup my database"; was used. Every DBA would lock onto the DBA part straight away and you would be trying to bring your mail server back up for days under the load of returns.

This example is not the best, but the idea is there. The "Keys" would need to be short and at the front. What "Keys" do you think we need?
How about these ?

ORACLE            * Suggestions to Oracle
PRODUCTS          * Products/Services Information
 or
PROD
     PROD-FORMS   * Product Info on Forms
     PROD-REPORTS * Product info on Reports
     etc.....
DBA               * DBA issues
CASE              * Data Models/Design/CASE?
 or
DESIGN
DEV               * Developement/Programming
   DEV-SQL        * SQL/syntax issues
   DEV-FORMS      * Forms Developement/Programming
   DEV-REPORTS    * Reports Developement/Programming
   etc...

This list is too long, but the use of some key would help.

Andrew Received on Sat Feb 04 1995 - 05:08:59 CET

Original text of this message