Re: Q: More fucking bad oracle instructions on install

From: Craig Sivils <csivils_at_Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>
Date: 12 Jan 1995 11:02:52 -0600

Your not a real Oracle DBA till you've fixed at least one bug in an Oracle Install, and Oracle wouldn't want to deny people the chance to be a "real dba".

(FOR THE HUMOR IMPAIRED, THAT WAS A JOKE) Although there is some truth in the statement. At my current job one of my first tasks was to install Oracle for netware, I had no experience with netware, and they told me that the last DBA had taken over a month to do the job. I got the task done in half a day (note: half a day = 12 hours :P). Being slow to learn, I built the database at full size three times, trying to find out where the stupid error in the install scripts was. Once I accepted the fact that I would need to first get a successful build, then get the real build, I started building weenie databases. And found about 8 lines of sql that was commented out inside two or three different scripts that needed uncommenting. All in all, one of the easier bugs to fix, but was a pain to find. (If there was a spot where we could post these bugs into a database, and could search this database, like on your web page..... (I keep trying))

Any large software product out there is going to have bugs, this by no means excuses the stupid ones, but I guess there is two ways to respond to it, one is dig in, and either fix or find a work around/find the answer or there is the other approach in which I suppose you could cuss the internet out.

Craig

And who's to say, I bet cussing the internet out took a lot less time. Received on Thu Jan 12 1995 - 18:02:52 CET

Original text of this message