Re: Q: More fucking bad oracle instructions on install

From: Neil Greene <neil_at_bMD.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 05:24:20 GMT

In article <3f3nbs$g8p_at_Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> csivils_at_Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Craig Sivils) writes:
> Your not a real Oracle DBA till you've fixed at least one bug in an
 Oracle Install,
> and Oracle wouldn't want to deny people the chance to be a "real dba".
>
> (FOR THE HUMOR IMPAIRED, THAT WAS A JOKE)
>
> Although there is some truth in the statement. At my current job one of
 my first
> tasks was to install Oracle for netware, I had no experience with
 netware, and
> they told me that the last DBA had taken over a month to do the job. I
 got the
> task done in half a day (note: half a day = 12 hours :P). Being slow to
 learn,
> I built the database at full size three times, trying to find out where
 the
> stupid error in the install scripts was. Once I accepted the fact that
 I would
> need to first get a successful build, then get the real build, I started
 building
> weenie databases. And found about 8 lines of sql that was commented out
 inside
> two or three different scripts that needed uncommenting. All in all,
 one of the
> easier bugs to fix, but was a pain to find. (If there was a spot where
 we could
> post these bugs into a database, and could search this database, like on
 your
> web page..... (I keep trying))
>
> Any large software product out there is going to have bugs, this by no
 means excuses the
> stupid ones, but I guess there is two ways to respond to it, one is dig
 in, and either
> fix or find a work around/find the answer or there is the other approach
 in which I suppose
> you could cuss the internet out.
>
> Craig
>
> And who's to say, I bet cussing the internet out took a lot less time.

Take a look at the errors in the 12 line Oracle install script (start.sh) for Unixware (SysV).

The following line fails:

        ln -s $x/orainst/* $y/orainst/.

on some systems since it exceeds the shell environment. You gotta watch this one pretty close because it goes by fast. I can honestly say, I have fixed several install scripts. Should we hold an annual convention now???

---
Sincerely,

Neil Greene

benchMark Developments, Inc.
11970 Charter Oak Parkway, St Louis MO 63146
Phone: 314-872-2907 / 800-872-3131
Email: Neil_at_bMD.com [NeXT/Mime mail accepted]