Re: Oracle 7 Documentation

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 01:12:52 GMT

>Sounds good and we do use the CD that came with 7.1 (we got the
>non-Freaken edition...). But what about those people who work
>with Oracle, perhaps at many sites, that do not own a copy
>of the RDBMS and don't get the CD? Why not make the CD docs price reasonable?
>I know I'd sure like to have a CD instead of carrying around lots of heavy
>books! Why price the CD at such a ridiculously high cost as well?

Opps, You got me there. If the CD really is ridiculously high. Then it is just a short sighted move on oracle's part to generate some quick cash.

We need to be careful about what we call ridiculous however. I haven't priced the CD but if it isn't a hell of a lot less for non-customers than the cost of the manuals then your right. Some line manager has priced the CD's so that his group can turn a profit and ignored the fact that Oracle should WANT people (even non-customers) to see and user their docs.

How much are is the CD? Maybe I tried to defend them too quick. :-}

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com