Re: Powerbuilder & Oracle

From: Steven P. Muench <smuench_at_oracle.com>
Date: 10 Dec 1994 07:26:41 GMT

>In article <shayD.20.00098BE4_at_moravian.edu> shayD_at_moravian.edu (David Shay) writes:
>>From: shayD_at_moravian.edu (David Shay)
>>Subject: Powerbuilder & Oracle
>>Date: Thu, 8 Dec 94 09:32:27 EST

>>Hi.
>>We are in a situation where we may be "forced" to go in the direction of an
>>Oracle database. Our previous plan was to use Powerbuilder & Sybase, but due
>>to other integration issues, we will need to use Oracle rather than Sybase. I
>>know that with the merger/buyout of Sybase & Powerbuilder, there will be
>>continued integration on that front. Does anyone in this group currently use
>>Powerbuilder as a front end to an Oracle datbase, or do most people use Forms?

>>Any comments from anyone currently running Powerbuilder & Oracle would be
>>greatly appreciated, either by mail or to this group.

>>Thanks

>>David Shay
>>Asst. Director for Programming & Special Projects
>>Moravian College
>>Bethlehem, PA 18018
>>shayD_at_moravian.edu
>
>We are using both Powerbuilder and CDE with Oracle. Powerbuilder is strong on
>the Windows side and weak on the database side and CDE is the opposite. Which
>you use depends on your requirements and the level of importance you apply to
>these. I personally lean towards CDE because I think strength of integration
>with the DB is more important over the long run. Powerbuilder's default
>database has always been Sybase so it tends to do things the 'Sybase' way
>which is not always the best way to do it with Oracle. I don't expect that to
>change.
>
>Lawrence....

Our Forms 4.5 Release increases its lead in the database performance area, while picking up nearly every single Windows feature that you've ever wanted in a solution from Oracle. All without sacrificing our mature cross-platform/cross-gui portability.

  • Full OLE2 Automation Support
  • Full VBX Control (Level 3!) Support
  • Full Multi-Level Inheritance of Methods and Attributes
  • Automatic CTL3DV2 Support!
  • Automatic Data-Enabled OLE2 Frame
  • Automatic Synchronization of Multiple Layouts for the same data
  • Drag & Drop Application Partitioning (easily move PL/SQL from server to client & back)
  • Unified Structural Object Navigator for all Client and Server Objects
  • Unified Code Editing, Compiling, and Debugging for Client and Server Code
  • Lots lots more...
--

Steve Muench         Email: smuench_at_oracle.com
Forms Development      CIS: 73404,676