SERVICES file. Was: Help needed: SQL*Net over Winsocket

From: Jon Kvisli <kvisli_at_tdh.no>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 10:26:09

Thanks for your tips Steve.

I have actually solved the my problem now after several hours of trail and failure. As you did, I tried to connect to my server using the NETTEST.EXE program. It kept telling me that the Oracle server could not be found. According to the manuals this indicated that the "orasrv 1525/tcp" line had not been added to the SERVICES file, while I definitly had done this!

What I found out was that the "orasrv 1525/tcp" line had to be placed as THE FIRST LINE in the C:\WINSOCK\SERVICES file!!!! If it was not the first line, SQL*Net did not find it and reported a failure. I hope that Oracle is the only SW vendor producing such a bug, as it will be difficult with more "first line products" in the same SERVICES file ( :--> ).

Have anyone experienced the same (with SQL*Net 1.1)?

jon.kvisli_at_tdh.no Received on Mon Dec 05 1994 - 10:26:09 CET

Original text of this message