Re: SERVICES file. Was: Help needed: SQL*Net over Winsocket

From: Michael P. Vergara <vergara_at_nosc.mil>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 15:34:19 GMT

In article <kvisli.32.000A6FE8_at_tdh.no>, Jon Kvisli <kvisli_at_tdh.no> wrote:
>Thanks for your tips Steve.
>
>I have actually solved the my problem now after several hours of trail and
>failure. As you did, I tried to connect to my server using the NETTEST.EXE
>program. It kept telling me that the Oracle server could not be found.
>According to the manuals this indicated that the "orasrv 1525/tcp" line had
>not been added to the SERVICES file, while I definitly had done this!
>
>What I found out was that the "orasrv 1525/tcp" line had to be placed as THE
>FIRST LINE in the C:\WINSOCK\SERVICES file!!!! If it was not the first line,
>SQL*Net did not find it and reported a failure. I hope that Oracle is the only
>SW vendor producing such a bug, as it will be difficult with more "first line
>products" in the same SERVICES file ( :--> ).
>
>Have anyone experienced the same (with SQL*Net 1.1)?

I am using SQL*Net v2.0.x with the Trumpet WINSOCK interface. The 'orasrv 1525/tcp' line is the LAST line of my C:\path\SERVICES file. And, the 'listener 1521/tcp' line is right above that.

I would tend to believe that the problem lies in your TCP/IP stack, not SQL*Net.

HTH

Mike Vergara           |   Be good...and you will be lonesome
vergara_at_nosc.mil       |                                       Jimmy Buffett
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of anyone else but me.  So there.