Re: CDE2 platforms and availability (was CASE 5.1)

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 94 23:17:53 GMT

bennettj_at_news-server writes in article <398p5a$qtr_at_nuclear.microserve.net>:

> Dennis Moore (dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
> : I've been following a CASE 5.1/CDE2 availability thread for a little while, and
> : thought this needs some official clarification.

> : What we have announced is that CDE2 contains three product families:

> : CDE2 CASE
> : CDE2 Tools
> : CDE2 Data Access

> : CDE2 CASE will be available for Windows, NT, and "Windows95" (or 96 or ...).
> : We are investigating ways to make this release available on other GUI platforms
> : but at this point are not willing to commit to this.

> : CDE2 Tools will generally be available for full use on all GUI platforms, and
> : for deployment use for all GUI and character mode platforms. This means you
> : will be able to develop with ASTOUNDINGLY cool new development environments
> : on MS-Windows (and descendents), Macintosh, and Motif NATIVE, as well as OS/2
> : in Windows emulation. You will be able to deploy in all those environments,
> : plus in character mode. Applications generated from CDE2 CASE will run in all
> : these environments as well. There may be one or two products in the CDE2 Tools
> : family which do not fit this profile, but Forms 4.5, Reports 2.5, Graphics 2.5,
> : Procedure Builder 1.5, Programmatic Interfaces, and Open Client Adapter should
> : all be available as per this profile. Translation Manager may be Windows-only,
> : but then again we may make it available cross-platform as well.
>
> I certainly hope that the porting team does a better and FASTER job at porting
> the CDE2 items to non-MS-Windows and non-Unix that the guys do currently. At
> my site (not Microserve) we have DEC/VAX running (or trying to)
> Oracle*Forms (4.0.12) and am having MAJOR problems and the support staff
> says to upgrade to 4.0.13, but my-oh-my it won't be available for the Vax for
> at least 2 MONTHS!!! Gee - how far is that behind MS-Windows ??? In our eyes
> CDE is getting a MAJOR black eye because of this. I hope that with Oracle's
> statements that Forms 3 and Reportwriter 1.x being 'de-supported' as of
> 12/31/95, that the tools will be stable SOON, because we have to begin
> converting our 250+ applications, and BETA code isn't good enough.

Considering the number off FORMS 3 applications (and other applications still marketed with FORMS 2.3), I think that FORMS 3 will be available for a significant longer time than end of 95 ......

> Flame OFF
>
> -- stuff deleted --

Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet   2:2474/117  2:2474/118     Mail Only System
                CIS: 100020,3517       USR Courier HST dual standard
                willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org
                ->   No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-