Re: CDE2 platforms and availability (was CASE 5.1)

From: Joseph Bennett <bennettj_at_news-server>
Date: 2 Nov 1994 19:26:34 GMT

Dennis Moore (dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
: I've been following a CASE 5.1/CDE2 availability thread for a little while, and
: thought this needs some official clarification.

: What we have announced is that CDE2 contains three product families:

: CDE2 CASE
: CDE2 Tools
: CDE2 Data Access

: CDE2 CASE will be available for Windows, NT, and "Windows95" (or 96 or ...).
: We are investigating ways to make this release available on other GUI platforms
: but at this point are not willing to commit to this.

: CDE2 Tools will generally be available for full use on all GUI platforms, and
: for deployment use for all GUI and character mode platforms. This means you
: will be able to develop with ASTOUNDINGLY cool new development environments
: on MS-Windows (and descendents), Macintosh, and Motif NATIVE, as well as OS/2
: in Windows emulation. You will be able to deploy in all those environments,
: plus in character mode. Applications generated from CDE2 CASE will run in all
: these environments as well. There may be one or two products in the CDE2 Tools
: family which do not fit this profile, but Forms 4.5, Reports 2.5, Graphics 2.5,
: Procedure Builder 1.5, Programmatic Interfaces, and Open Client Adapter should
: all be available as per this profile. Translation Manager may be Windows-only,
: but then again we may make it available cross-platform as well.

I certainly hope that the porting team does a better and FASTER job at porting the CDE2 items to non-MS-Windows and non-Unix that the guys do currently. At my site (not Microserve) we have DEC/VAX running (or trying to) Oracle*Forms (4.0.12) and am having MAJOR problems and the support staff says to upgrade to 4.0.13, but my-oh-my it won't be available for the Vax for at least 2 MONTHS!!! Gee - how far is that behind MS-Windows ??? In our eyes CDE is getting a MAJOR black eye because of this. I hope that with Oracle's statements that Forms 3 and Reportwriter 1.x being 'de-supported' as of 12/31/95, that the tools will be stable SOON, because we have to begin converting our 250+ applications, and BETA code isn't good enough.

Also, as for the developer tools being able to generate for character mode - sure, they can, but nobody knows how to set up the GUI so that it can show a developer HOW IT WILL LOOK for character mode. I think that the writing is on the wall - go Client-Server and do so on a GUI (either MAC/WINDOZE/Unix-MOTIF). This is OK if you have network backbones for your users but I think that Oracle is ignoring the sites with a large centralized DP area. Our users don't all have GUI devices - and we won't have a network to make it work even if they did have GUI. OK - tell me - on a VAX - how to make the GUI look and feel like character mode. One support person took a shot, but for an organization that is touting character-mode compatibility, shouldn't you have some guidelines for setting it up and developing for non-GUI????

Flame OFF