Re: Need Comparisons of Oracle 7 and Sybase 10

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 17 Oct 1994 23:32:17 GMT

In article <dil.admin.1110.000AC72A_at_mhs.unc.edu> dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu (David I. Laudicina) writes:

>>george anderson (gwa_at_cis.ml.com) wrote:

  [stuff deleted]

>Again this test was done under netware. I am not sure if you would consider
>netware in an industrial strength client server environment. You want
>scalibility and it seems like an smp (either Unix or NT) box would be the way
>you would go. I would like to see some comparisons between Sybase and Oracle
>running on the SAME smp box under both Unix and NT operating systems.

  [more stuff deleted]

I dont know how you define an "industrial strength client server environment" but I do know of a lot of people running absolutely mission critical systems in this environment (including Emergency 911 service databases in some counties and several other businesses which would close down if they lost their database)

I also know some folks who installed 6.0.33 way back when it first came out onto Netware 3.11 and have'nt touched the hardware or software ever since because they have never had a problem with it. It's been my experience that once this environment is stable (this is the challenge - matching the OS , device drivers and hardware) it is rarely going to do bad things.

And lastly given identical (albeit non SMP) PC hardware I'm fairly certain that a Netware box would perform better than any Unix server on the same box (SCO Unix, Unixware, etc.)

Just my 2 cents.

Shiraz

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Desktop Netware Group - Worldwide Technical Support - 3OP11