Re: Performance and I/O

From: Tom Cooke <tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 18:21:09 +0000

In article <36q9p1$hsr_at_news.delphi.com>

           dagmara_at_news.delphi.com "DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM" writes:

> I have experienced about 10-20% gain using raw partitions on UNIX servers
> with version 6. I have not seen any gain by going raw with version. 7.
>
> My advice: tune your SQL statements, review your data architecture and
> adjust accordingly. Unless you have an extremely astute UNIX system
> administrator, and an excellent backup and recovery procedure, and have
> tried everything else but you still need to squeeze higher performance
> from your application, do not use raw partitions.

I agree with all your comments about tuning, data architecture, how on-the- ball the sysadmin is, having good backup/recover procedures etc; however, raw disk has at least two possible advantages; async IO, and any systemspecific  facilities for fast disk-to-tape copy (e.g. Pyramid's ?rdcp)

--
Tom Cooke               tom_at_tomcooke.demon.co.uk             +44 (0)1782 748027
North Staffordshire Hospital Computer Centre, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, UK