Re: Need Comparisons of Oracle 7 and Sybase 10

From: David I. Laudicina <dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 10:46:36

>george anderson (gwa_at_cis.ml.com) wrote:
>: 1) PC Magazine compared Oracle to SYBASE Version 4.2 which is very old code

>If you read the article properly, you can see that they tested Sybase SQL
>Server version 10 running on Netware, not version 4.2. They did also test
>MS SQL Server for Windows NT, which *IS* the old version 4.2 (and actually
>performed even worse).

>: 2) What does PC Week know about database anyway???

>Well you can argue about this forever, but the test has been conducted
>(for the last three years or so) by some very knowledgable people from Ziff
>Davis. All vendors (except Informix I remember from the article) did have
>an expert on site to tune the system and make sure everything was running
>allright.

>Sandor Nieuwenhuijs
>Oracle Netherlands

>--- These opinions (if any) are just mine. I do not represent Oracle ---
>--- Corporation in this Posting ---

Again this test was done under netware. I am not sure if you would consider netware in an industrial strength client server environment. You want scalibility and it seems like an smp (either Unix or NT) box would be the way you would go. I would like to see some comparisons between Sybase and Oracle running on the SAME smp box under both Unix and NT operating systems. On the PC magazine test Sybase blew Oracle away in the environment that an adhoc read only query system would be utilized. So it really depends on what you will be doing to decide which db is best. You probably would not be making a bad decision if you went with either Sybase or Oracle. Thx Dave L Received on Mon Oct 17 1994 - 10:46:36 CET

Original text of this message