News from ORACLE-L

From: Carlos Netto <Carlos.Netto_at_ibase.org.br>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 94 00:13:00 -0300

I read this mail at Oracle-L. For those that have no access to ORACLE-L, like myself, here is the mail:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I just purchased the "ORACLE DBA Handbook" by Kevin Loney and published by Oracle Press and Osborne McGraw-Hill for $34.95, ISBN 0-07-881182-1.

The sales assistant that sold me the book at the local Borders Books said he had just put it on the shelf a few hours ago and it is a new book.

In my opinion this book will soon become an essential supplement to the standard Oracle Manuals in every DBA's library. It has in mine.

  Sanjay Kapur    (SK54)              |Internet:    Sanjay.Kapur_at_sunysb.edu
  Systems Staff, Computing Services,  |Bitnet:      SKAPUR_at_USB
  State University of New York,       |SPAN/HEPnet: 44132::SKAPUR
  Stony Brook, NY 11794-2400        |Phone:+1-516 632 8029, FAX:+1-516 632 8046

-------------------
The subtitle on the cover is:
        What Every System
        Admnistrator Needs to Know
        for Effective and Efficient
        Database Management.

        Covers Versions 6 and 7.x

I am quoting the back cover below:

ORACLE
The Essential Guide to Database MAnagement in the Real World.

Forget theories and hypotheses. Managing a database in the real world is a tricky business that casts the DBA in the difficult role of architect, juggler, and trouble-shooter all at once.

The "Oracle DBA Handbook" is here to make your life as database administrator easier and more productive. It provides the information you need to effectively manage a networked or stand-alone Oracle database system.

In this official handbook, authorized by Oracle, expert Kevin Loney shows you how to set up a database for maximum efficiency, monitor it, tune it, and maintain security. You'll find tips on networking Oracle7 with SQL*Net and UNIX, and on using ORACLE's distributed database and client-server capabilities. And you'll learn about supporting packages, incuding Oracle*CASE, Oracle Financials, and Oracle utilities, as well as third-party tools. A command reference, configuration guidelines, and scripts are also included to help get you started in setting up your Oracle database.

Whether you're a new or experienced DBA, you can master the many nuances and intricacies of this complex and powerful system. The "Oracle DBA Handbook" will prove to be your crucial guide to developing a top-performing database for today's real-world information needs.

Bye,

   ----->>>>>>>>>>>> Don't reply. Reply will not work! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<----

| Carlos Augusto Leite Netto | Voice : +55.192.51.1153 |
| Software Design Informatica | Fax : +55.192.54.6518 |
| Oracle VAR | e-mail : carlos.netto%mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br |
| Software Development & DBA | FidoNet: 4:801/31 (Carlos Netto) |

| Softex 2000 member | Brazil, Sao Paulo state, Campinas city |
  • Evaluation copy of Silver Xpress. Day # 110 --- via Silver Xpress V4.01P [NR]

User Name: Carlos Netto - ( %mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br ) This message was processed by RAuucp from Merlin Systems Inc.