News about "free" ODBC for Oracle7

From: Carlos Netto <Carlos.Netto_at_ibase.org.br>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 23:54:00 -0300

Hi, guys:

Read above what I got on ORACLE-L. Did you know about it?!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

From: Eric Pierce <PIERCEED_at_SSWDSERVER.SSWD.CSUS.EDU> Subject: Oracle ODBC driver via anon ftp? (fwd) Sender: "ORACLE database mailing list." <ORACLE-L_at_SBCCVM.BITNET> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_SBCCVM.BITNET> Reply-to: "ORACLE database mailing list." <ORACLE-L_at_SBCCVM.BITNET> Message-id: <1271253400023FAD_at_brfapg.bitnet> X-Envelope-to: rodolfon_at_FEE.UNICAMP.BR X-To: oracle-l%sbccvm.BITNET_at_CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu Status: RO

To all concerned non Compu$erve-connected Oracle users:

The free ODBC drivers are gone.

Following is an edited conversation between the FTP site, a quasi-offical Oracle person and myself.

If anybody wants to get pissed off at me, fine. I learned the hard way on this one. I guess serendipity rules on the internet. The old saying "In a bureaucracy it is easier to get forgiveness than permission" has been proven once again!

Maybe the Oracle community can use any pain arising from this situation as motivation to pressure Oracle into speeding up the development of an Oracle www/ftp service.

Eric Pierce

  • Forwarded Message Follows -------
Date:          Wed, 28 Sep 94 14:44:13 PDT
From:          "xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxx_at_us.oracle.com>
Subject:       Re:      Re: Oracle ODBC driver via anon ftp? (fwd)

I really shouldn't be the official mouthpiece of Oracle Corporate, since I'm just a lowly tech support guy! :^) But my direct management tells me we currently are only allowing the driver to be distributed from Compuserve.

To: xxxxx_at_us.oracle.com
Subject:      Re: Oracle ODBC driver via anon ftp? (fwd)

Hi,

Per the following, can I post a summary on Oracle-L_at_SBCCVM.BITNET?

Thanks,

Eric Pierce

  • Forwarded Message Follows -------
Date:          Tue, 27 Sep 1994 16:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:          "Mark Bixby" <markb_at_spock.dis.cccd.edu>

The official answer is "no" distribution via anonymous ftp. Someday Oracle plans to establish an official www/ftp presence. Perhaps then it will be directly available from them.

I have removed it from ftp.cccd.edu.

You can quote me far and wide, but it would probably be a breach of netiquette to quote xxxxxxxxx xxxx without his permission. Summarize him in your own words instead.

xxxxxxxxx xxxx writes:
> From xxxxx_at_us.oracle.com Tue Sep 27 16:03:35 1994
> To: markb_at_cccd.edu
> Subject: Re: Oracle ODBC driver via anon ftp?
>

> Your points are well taken. I enjoy using the internet and would not be
> particularly excited if I had to get a Compuserve account for the sole purpose
> of obtaining the latest and greatest drivers we release.
>
> But I think Oracle is interested in providing a central, relatively easily
> accessable point of distribution, and they want to be able to control
> this distribution to make sure that people always get the right version
> and all the files. If some ftp site out there had an old version or a version
> that was missing some files, customers would not be very happy with Oracle and
> of course our tech support people would really take a hit.
>
> Since we really can't take responsibility for the actions of an independent
> anon site, we are currently only distributing the file to Compuserve and not
> authorizing distribution elsewhere.
>
> We are slowly but surely working towards an external ftp/WWW site btw...
> I'm personally pretty excited about this!!!
>
> Regards,

> From:"Mark Bixby" <markb_at_spock.dis.cccd.edu>

> Subject: Oracle ODBC driver via anon ftp?
>
> There is some debate in the Internet community of Oracle users as to whether
 or
> not it is proper to make the Oracle ODBC driver available via anonymous ftp
> sites. LICENSE.WRI seems to forbid this; yet:
>
> 1) The ODBC driver is available for "free" to all comers who choose to
> download it from Compu$erve.
>
> 2) Support must still be purchased if desired.
>
> 3) SQL*Net must be purchased for it to work at all.
>
> So one could argue that making the driver available on anonymous ftp sites
> will generate additional $$$ for Oracle due to 2) and 3) above.
>
> So is it permissable for the ODBC driver to be uploaded to Internet anonymous
> ftp sites?
>
> If not, why doesn't Oracle open an official ftp site of their own?

   ----->>>>>>>>>>>> Don't reply. Reply will not work! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<----

|  Carlos Augusto Leite Netto   | Voice  : +55.192.51.1153                  |
|  Software Design Informatica  | Fax    : +55.192.54.6518                  |
|  Oracle VAR                   | e-mail : carlos.netto%mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br |
|  Software Development & DBA   | FidoNet: 4:801/31 (Carlos Netto)          |
|  Softex 2000 member           | Brazil, Sao Paulo state, Campinas city    |
  • Evaluation copy of Silver Xpress. Day # 109 --- via Silver Xpress V4.01P [NR]

User Name: Carlos Netto - ( %mpcbbs_at_ibase.org.br ) This message was processed by RAuucp from Merlin Systems Inc.