Re: HP or Sun for Oracle

From: Paul Beardsell <psb_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 1994 16:45:05 +0000

In article <373o1k$q16_at_jalisco.optimum.net>

           tim_boemker_at_zacatecas.optimum.com "Tim Boemker" writes:

> You might consider that Oracle has chosen Sun as its primary
> development platform, Sun and Oracle share source code, etc. (Detailed
> in a report called "Oracle for Sun -- An Enterprise Computing
> Platform.")
>
> Tim Boemker

I don't believe it. Quote from your source. I imagine the doc you refer to is from Sun. I can show you docs from Sequent where similar claims are made for the Oracle - Sequent relationship. Doubtless HP make the same claim. Doubtless Oracle has such an agreement with many ``primaries''.

If true then I want to see such a doc from Oracle. Because AFAIK, Oracle has never publicly held a HW supplier preference.

And I'm interested: what legitimate reason could Oracle have to show Sun its source code? And vice versa. Do they do out of a spirit of openness?

--
Paul Beardsell                          SAM Business Systems Ltd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                          21 Finn House, Bevenden St,