Re: HP or Sun for Oracle

From: Martin Farber <farber_at_nynexst.com>
Date: 12 Oct 1994 00:38:54 GMT

In article q16_at_jalisco.optimum.net, tim_boemker_at_zacatecas.optimum.com (Tim Boemker) writes:
>You might consider that Oracle has chosen Sun as its primary
>development platform, Sun and Oracle share source code, etc. (Detailed
>in a report called "Oracle for Sun -- An Enterprise Computing
>Platform.")
>
>Tim Boemker

Sure, I fell for that line too!!! I was told that Sun Solaris and Windows were the *primary* developement platforms. Meanwhile Forms 4.0.13 has been out for a while on Windows, HP/UX, even SunOS. From what I've now been told - the developers don't even *have* a Sun Solaris system! We also get virtually non-existent support.

So, take that kind of stuff with a grain of salt!!! Besides what is there *primary* platform today can be their tertiary platform next release! Pick your platform based on cost, performance, scalibility, realiability, etc. Don't depend on what Oracle *says* they're using for their primary platform of the day!

That's all I'm going to say.

Sincerely,

Martin Farber
Independent Oracle Consultant "A Jack of all trades and a slave to one."