Re: ORACLE Backups

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 9 Aug 94 08:16:08 +1000

In article <b36_9408080642_at_crystal.dircon.co.uk>, gordon_at_crystal.dircon.co.uk (Gordon Hollingworth) writes:
> Trevor,
>
> 04 Aug 94 20:13, tpaquette_at_ita.lgc.com wrote to All:
>
> jm>> You could go into SQLDBA and do a shutdown immediate...that
> jm>> would effectively kick them off!
>
> tlc> No it won't. That will disable any new connections to the
> tlc> database. Any already existing connections are sitll there and
> tlc> sqldba will wait until all are disconnected before shutting down
> tlc> the database.
> tlc> What you want to do is a shutdown abort. That WILL abort any and
> tlc> all current sessions. -- Name : Trevor Paquette | Alberta
>
> I don't think I agree with this an I think John Morgan is correct....This is
> how I understand shutdowns.
>
> SHUTDOWN - Standard shutdown disables any new connections and waits for
> existing connections to terminate before Database is shutdown.
>
> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE - Terminates all connections and performs and automatic
> rollback on any uncommited transactions.
>
> SHUTDOWN ABORT - Terminates everything and does *not* perform rollbacks etc.
> This is what I call the PANIC option.

This is correct.

Another thing to remember is that IMMEDIATE and ABORT only terminate current Oracle sessions they don't kill the operating system session SO while you can shutdown the database you may not be able to bring it back up again until you clobber all those O/S sessions that have O/S locks on the database files etc.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras