ORACLE Backups

From: Gordon Hollingworth <gordon_at_crystal.dircon.co.uk>
Date: 07 Aug 94 14:45:00 +0000

Trevor,

04 Aug 94 20:13, tpaquette_at_ita.lgc.com wrote to All:

 jm>> You could go into SQLDBA and do a shutdown immediate...that  jm>> would effectively kick them off!

 tlc>  No it won't. That will disable any new connections to the
 tlc> database. Any already existing connections are sitll there and
 tlc> sqldba will wait until all are disconnected before shutting down
 tlc> the database.
 tlc>  What you want to do is a shutdown abort. That WILL abort any and
 tlc> all current sessions. -- Name : Trevor Paquette       | Alberta

I don't think I agree with this an I think John Morgan is correct....This is how I understand shutdowns.

SHUTDOWN - Standard shutdown disables any new connections and waits for existing connections to terminate before Database is shutdown.

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE - Terminates all connections and performs and automatic rollback on any uncommited transactions.

SHUTDOWN ABORT - Terminates everything and does *not* perform rollbacks etc. This is what I call the PANIC option.

Does anyone else have anything to add ???

Regards,
Gordon Hollingworth
Oracle DBA/UNIX Administrator

--
gordon_at_crystal.dircon.co.uk

| The Crystal Tower, Enfield, London 081-447-8244 V21-V32bis,HST |
| InterNet: crystal.dircon.co.uk FidoNet: 2:254/220 |