Re: Installing Oracle

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 00:09:04 GMT

In article <CtuxAq.Hq7_at_churchill.co.uk> amit_at_churchill.co.uk (Amit Gupta) writes:
>Ajoy Cherian (tulcoc_at_ccnet.com) wrote:
>: Hi,

>: Is it true that a C compiler is required for installing oracle(for
>: linking the oracle kernel) ?
>: Platform : SUN OS5.3 solaris 2.3
>: Oracle RDBMS :V 7.0.16.4

>: I got conflitting info from oracle support and some experts who have
>: installed oracle on various platforms. Oracle support version is
>: that C compiler is not required and the others say it is reqd.
>: I am confused. Would appreciate clarification. (In solaris 2.3 the C
>: compiler is not bundled with the OS, it is a seperately priced prod)

>: Thanks
>: Ajoy
>
>Hi
>
>In my view C compiler IS required for installing Oracle ( Oracle 7 anyway ).
>
>But it is easy enough to find out by attempting to install Oracle in your
>environment !!!

I was under the impression that Oracle decides in the Oracle installer whether a relinking is necessary. So both answers given to Ajoy may be correct. Amit's answer ignores the fact you may want to add another product later.

From the install log:

 Would you like to relink Oracle product executables? By default, the I nstaller will not relink any product executables, with the exception of the ORACLE7 Server which is relinked automatically if necessary.

So the big question is, When is it necessary? I know some protocols like DECNET require it... Anyone know when?

--
Joel Garry            joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com             Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.