Re: DBA Monitoring Tools

From: Alligator Descartes <descarte_at_istellar.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 21:30:37 +0000

In article <30nbv5$h9m_at_Venus.mcs.com> rrogers_at_MCS.COM "Richard Rogers" writes:

> I called on Ecotools and got a starter kit price, which included one
> server and 96 clients... for $25,000. This seems a bit steep. Does anyone
> have other experiences with the Ecotools price or the price of other
> products that so monitoring and user logging?

I was at an Oracle DBA Open Day last week where both BMC and Compuware ( and others! ) were showing off all the GUI management tools. Now, this stuff was demo, so I'm not able to comment on real-time speeds and usefulness, but from my overview:

  1. DBVision - Slow as hell. Pretty, but not really intuitive. Didn't have *much* of a look at this, I admit.
  2. Patrol - Nice. Looks good. Intuitive. Quite fast. Monitors itself quite happily. Good tuning system for agents and has support for Financials, which is good. Overall, well worth a look.
  3. ECOTools - Didn't look quite as nice as Patrol. Well, not quite as splashy with the colour. Similar layout and options. Possibly worth a look, but I'd listen to someone else other than me!
  4. XDBA - Fantastic, brilliant, free, and as yet, unfinished. Don't ask me about it. 8-)

> Richard Rogers Voice: +1 708 655 7895

OM P IAD. 333.

--
Alligator Descartes 		     |  "Lobey's the Wee Boy!"
descarte_at_istellar.demon.co.uk        |   		- Bud Neill