Re: Is SQL*Plus a must...*really*?

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 09:49:33 CDT

In article 1ta_at_news.roadnet.ups.com, gls_at_roadnet.ups.com (Glenn Strohm) writes:
-->I'm using Oracle7 on Netware and have not seen anything in the FAQs
-->or sales literature that convinces me I absolutely must have SQL*Plus.
-->
-->I'm not interested in its report-generating capabilities, and it looks
-->like SQL*DBA in screen mode is capable of running SQL and PL/SQL "scripts".
-->
-->Can anyone tell me what SQL*Plus provides (other than what I view as fairly
-->primitive report-formatting capabilities) that I can't get with SQL*DBA?

I assume that your database isn't a single user , i.e. you, database....If it isn't then you need sqlplus for the users to perform ad-hoc reporting, and data defintion/manipulation type tasks.

It's the only DDL/DML tool that the users can use...I certainly would not let any of the users here anywhere near SQLDBA.

Anyway, long before SQLDBA came along it was the _only_ DDL/DML tool to use. (Just to give you the history, It's only been around since V6, before that in Versions 5 and 4 SQLPLUS (Or UFI as it was called) was the only tool for such operations that Oracle provided).

Is that a good enough answer ?

---
David Crowson   =%^)   |"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
Oracle DBA(Ver.4,5,6,7)| I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to
Amoco Exploration      | move, to get down off this featherbed of civilisation
Ealing, London, UK.    | and to find the globe granite underneath and strewn
"My views not Amoex's" | with cutting flints" : Robert Louis Stevenson
Replies to : dcrowson_at_amoco.com (till mid-June) or igotan_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk