Re: Is SQL*Plus a must...*really*?

From: bs <shatzman_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 20:07:05 GMT

Many applications don't even let users into SQL*Plus. But even if you don't think you'll ever have the need to DESCRIBE a table, or run quick ad-hoc reports that are formatted so you can make sense of them, or easily create nifty utilities such as using SQL to create SQL, you'll still need SQL*Plus because the installation of many tools (not the least of which is the Data Dictionary itself) uses it.

In fact, if i had to give up all ORACLE tools except one, SQL*Plus is the one i'd keep.

Wishing you never have worries more serious than this, Barry

David Crowson (zdxc0d_at_amoco.com) wrote:
: In article 1ta_at_news.roadnet.ups.com, gls_at_roadnet.ups.com (Glenn Strohm) writes:
: -->I'm using Oracle7 on Netware and have not seen anything in the FAQs
: -->or sales literature that convinces me I absolutely must have SQL*Plus.
: -->
: -->I'm not interested in its report-generating capabilities, and it looks
: -->like SQL*DBA in screen mode is capable of running SQL and PL/SQL "scripts".
: -->
: -->Can anyone tell me what SQL*Plus provides (other than what I view as fairly
: -->primitive report-formatting capabilities) that I can't get with SQL*DBA?

: I assume that your database isn't a single user , i.e. you, database....If it
: isn't then you need sqlplus for the users to perform ad-hoc reporting, and
: data defintion/manipulation type tasks.

: It's the only DDL/DML tool that the users can use...I certainly would not let any
: of the users here anywhere near SQLDBA.

: Anyway, long before SQLDBA came along it was the _only_ DDL/DML tool to use.
: (Just to give you the history, It's only been around since V6, before that in
: Versions 5 and 4 SQLPLUS (Or UFI as it was called) was the only tool for such
: operations that Oracle provided).

: Is that a good enough answer ?

: ---
: David Crowson =%^) |"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
: Oracle DBA(Ver.4,5,6,7)| I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to
: Amoco Exploration | move, to get down off this featherbed of civilisation
: Ealing, London, UK. | and to find the globe granite underneath and strewn
: "My views not Amoex's" | with cutting flints" : Robert Louis Stevenson
: Replies to : dcrowson_at_amoco.com (till mid-June) or igotan_at_ombomb.demon.co.uk