Re: URGENT! HELP needed on rollback segs

From: Fred Wiersma <wiersma_at_discus>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 13:31:08 GMT

In article <Co8u6M.3Bw_at_Cadence.COM>, mas_at_Cadence.COM (Masud Khan) writes:
>Here's the scenario, we've had our Oracle expert resign unexpectedly
>and one of our Oracle servers crapped itself. We lost the database
>and I've had to rebuild it. So far this has been a RTFM task because
>I don't know the first thing about it. I did attend the Oracle DBA
>course last year but since then this is the first time I've applied
>what I learnt. The problem is I can't remember what I had for breakfast
>let alone what I did on the Oracle course last year!
>
>The Problem is this...
>
>create tablespace ROLL datafile 'filespec' size 100M
>default storage (
> initial 256K
> next 256K
> pctincrease 0
> minextents 10
> maxextents 249
>);
>
>This works OK and creates the tablespace 'ROLL'
>
>the next bit throws errors...
>
>create rollback segment r01 tablespace roll;
>
>create rollback segment r01 tablespace roll
>*
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace 'ROLL'
>

>I looked up the error code but I don't know exactly what it wants me to do,
>can anyone please explain to me in plain English what I need to do.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Mas
>
>--
>
> Masud ibn Zahur ibn Hamid'ullah al-Agar-Khani Jarral al-Hanafi
>
>email: mas_at_cadence.com alias: Citizen-X
>Name: Masud Ahmed Khan
>Position(s): Configuration Technician, ORACLE support(?), Sys Admin
>Company: Cadence Design Systems,
> Bracknell (UK).
>Phone: 0344-865465 Voice Mail: 1465
>
>-+=[ ]=+- All opinions expressed are mine and mine only -+=[ ]=+-

If you create a new database, first create a rollback segment in the SYSTEM tablespace, shut down Oracle, put in the init.ora the line

rollback_segments=(name_of_new_rs)

and restart Oracle. Then you may create new tablespaces. If you create rollback segments, adapt init.ora and rerstart Oracle. This is for Oracle v6.

Good luck,

Fred
wiersma_at_tfdl.agro.nl Received on Thu Apr 14 1994 - 15:31:08 CEST

Original text of this message