Re: URGENT! HELP needed on rollback segs

From: James Forgy <forgy_at_ll.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 11:51:19 -0400

In article <Co8u6M.3Bw_at_Cadence.COM> mas_at_Cadence.COM (Masud Khan) writes:
>From: mas_at_Cadence.COM (Masud Khan)
>Subject: URGENT! HELP needed on rollback segs
>Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 09:54:21 GMT

>Here's the scenario, we've had our Oracle expert resign unexpectedly
>and one of our Oracle servers crapped itself. We lost the database
>and I've had to rebuild it. So far this has been a RTFM task because
>I don't know the first thing about it. I did attend the Oracle DBA
>course last year but since then this is the first time I've applied
>what I learnt. The problem is I can't remember what I had for breakfast
>let alone what I did on the Oracle course last year!

>The Problem is this...

>create tablespace ROLL datafile 'filespec' size 100M
>default storage (
> initial 256K
> next 256K
> pctincrease 0
> minextents 10
> maxextents 249
>);

>This works OK and creates the tablespace 'ROLL'

>the next bit throws errors...

>create rollback segment r01 tablespace roll;

>create rollback segment r01 tablespace roll
>*
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01552: cannot use system rollback segment for non-system tablespace 'ROLL'

>I looked up the error code but I don't know exactly what it wants me to do,
>can anyone please explain to me in plain English what I need to do.

>Thanks in advance

>Mas

>--

> Masud ibn Zahur ibn Hamid'ullah al-Agar-Khani Jarral al-Hanafi

>email: mas_at_cadence.com alias: Citizen-X
>Name: Masud Ahmed Khan
>Position(s): Configuration Technician, ORACLE support(?), Sys Admin
>Company: Cadence Design Systems,
> Bracknell (UK).
>Phone: 0344-865465 Voice Mail: 1465
>
>-+=[ ]=+- All opinions expressed are mine and mine only -+=[ ]=+-

just go into system manager and create a rollback segment called temp; bring the DB down. Include "temp" in the rollback segments parameter in init.ora. (rollback_segments=(temp)) (I think).

Reboot and then create the rollback segments you want.

Later add them into the init.ora parameter and maybe drop temp and take it out.

-jf Received on Thu Apr 14 1994 - 17:51:19 CEST

Original text of this message