Re: >Oracle's future

From: P. Gainer <gainer_at_slowmo.almaden.ibm.com>
Date: 15 Mar 1994 18:35:12 GMT

In a recent append, m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu (Mahesh Vallampati) writes...
>The point was that Oracle,Sybase etchave already come out with Client-Server
>on a variety of Machines very early than u guys.

Yes, we were slow out of the starting blocks. We are moving much faster these days, though.

>U guys are stiil talking about Client-Server whereas Object-Oriented
>databases are on the way.Oracle 8 has been announced and the release date is
>around 1995/96.There was a recent thread in this newsgroup on Object oriented
>databases started by a guy from IBM .

My favorite quote regarding the much touted Object Oriented database world is:
  "This year OO databases were a 0 million dollar market. Next year they    will be a 0 billion dollar market."

As for announcing Oracle 8, well, I'll let Oracle's history speak for itself.

Pat Gainer
gainer_at_almaden.ibm.com Received on Tue Mar 15 1994 - 19:35:12 CET

Original text of this message