>Oracle's future

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu>
Date: 14 Mar 1994 09:14:29 -0600

In article <2lnokc$ia4_at_juniper.almaden.ibm.com> writes:
>While it is true that Oracle is a fast growing company and that they hold
>a huge portion of the non-mainframe market (still, on the mainframe,
>DB2/MVS is pretty much the only game in town), it is also true that DB2
>Client/Server is just starting out. It is new code, designed from the ground
>up to be a client/server database. DB2 Client/Server started shipping on OS/2
>last summer. It started shipping on AIX late last fall. It will be shipping
>on HP/UX sometime this year. There are other ports in progress which are
>still confidential.

The point was that Oracle,Sybase etchave already come out with Client-Server on a variety of Machines very early than u guys.

>And while IBM has laid people off in the past year, not too many of them
>were in database development :)

Well,I was just making a point on how delays can cost a company.Databases were one of the many reasons.

>IBM is trying to move into the workstation database market with competitive
>function, very high performance, and an absolutely bulletproof engine.
Still trying to move into this market .Again delays. I am very much impressed with Oracle's engine. Once the product is out and the stats of performance will decide the merit of the above statement.It is not just a function of the code u guys write. Other vendors might come up with better stuff in the mean time. U guys are stiil talking about Client-Server whereas Object-Oriented databases are on the way.Oracle 8 has been announced and the release date is around 1995/96.There was a recent thread in this newsgroup on Object oriented databases started by a guy from IBM .

>And remember what Mahesh said about IBM Research inventing SQL and relational
>databases? Well we have some of those same people helping to code DB2
>Client/Server.

I have the highest regard for IBM and its research. There is no doubt in my mind or contention on the contribution of IBM to relational databases and its thoery.
One of my favorite byline is someone's signature on the net which goes like this. "I promise to use the key,the whole key and nothing but the key so help me Codd" .

>Pat Gainer

I was trying to mail a reply to this but it is bouncing .Are u there Mr.Gainer? Thanks and regards,

Mahesh Vallampati
M.S. In EE
Dept.of Electrical Engineering,
Texas A & M University.
Ph:(409)862-1070
/* Thy Shall Inherit and Distribute */ Received on Mon Mar 14 1994 - 16:14:29 CET

Original text of this message