Re: technical review of Oracle replication

From: Paul Mickel <mickel_at_OES.ORST.EDU>
Date: 11 Oct 1993 20:23:16 GMT

In article <CEqMrx.LEn_at_sybase.com>, Luis Miguel <luism_at_sybase.com> wrote:
> Sybase's Replication Server is in General Availability NOW !!!!!!!!
>When will Oracle7.1 offer all levels of replication?
>
>I think you said it best, my friend:
>

>|> Don't let the
>|> hype on non-products fool you. Replication Server is a recipe for
>|> failure.
>|>

>Oracle's failure to provide a real product on a timely basis, that is.
>Sybase will be content to let the real users of TODAY speak for
>themselves...

I may be inviting flames here, but the main reason I read this grp is to get technical information about the Oracle RDBMS system and NOT to read "advertisements"  about one product vs another. I would ask the person from sybase who wrote this if he believed in using the right tool for the right job??? There might actually be some cases where Oracle, Sybase, Ingres, or FoxBase may not be an appropriate solution, depending on what you are doing.

>Luis Miguel. Replication Server Engineering, Sybase Inc.
>arpanet: luism_at_sybase.com
>at&t: (510) 596-8023
>FAX: (510) 658-9525
Just my $0.02 worth.

-Paul

--
Paul Mickel				  Internet: mickel_at_oes.orst.edu
Database Applications Programmer 	  UUCP: ..!hplabs!hp-pcd!orstext!mickel