Re: Is a Multithreaded Ingres On the Horizon???

From: Kevin.Klein <Kevin.Klein_at_mixcom.mixcom.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1993 22:16:40 GMT

In <24qubr$bjr_at_infochi.com> rfinkel_at_infochi.com (Richard Finkelstein) writes:

>In order to clarify the above statement, I was referring to Sybase Virtual
>Server running on an SMP box (i.e., multiple engines running on dedicated
>CPUs). I have heard mixed reports on this
>particular product. A Sybase representative got himself all bent out of
>shape because he felt I was talking about all Release 4.8 and 4.9 versions
>of Sybase. If there are companies who have successfully implemented
>Virtual Server on an SMP box (i.e., deployed production applications) I
>would be interested in hearing about them.

We have been running SQL Server 4.8 and 4.9.1 on a dual-CPU Sun 670MP for over a year. This server is configured with two engines and supports about 100 users (about 250 connections). It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. We have had very few _serious_ problems and are very happy with it. I personally think SQL Server is an excellent product.