Re: Is a Multithreaded Ingres On the Horizon???

From: Richard Finkelstein <rfinkel_at_infochi.com>
Date: 17 Aug 1993 10:43:55 -0500

Richard Finkelstein (rfinkel_at_infochi.com) wrote:
: Thanks for cleaning up the confusion. I did miss the point of the original
: message which was more concerned with parallelism than multi-threading.

: I believe that Oracle7 is suppose to have parallel index capabilities
: though I have not verified this with any user.

: I have also tried to find users who have successfully implemented Sybase's
: Virtual Server and have found very few - in fact only one. That user did
: not see a major benefit in Virtual Server though there were some. Other
: users have reported no success in running Virtual Server. My own feeling
: is that alot of the parallel architecture that vendors are now promoting
: are very complicated and difficult to implement. I therefore take a very
: cautious view towards this technology until it is fully proven.

: -- Rich
: --
: Richard Finkelstein Voice: 312-549-8325
: Performance Computing, Inc. Fax: 312-549-4824
: Chicago, IL Mail: rfinkel_at_infochi.com

In order to clarify the above statement, I was referring to Sybase Virtual Server running on an SMP box (i.e., multiple engines running on dedicated CPUs). I have heard mixed reports on this particular product. A Sybase representative got himself all bent out of shape because he felt I was talking about all Release 4.8 and 4.9 versions of Sybase. If there are companies who have successfully implemented Virtual Server on an SMP box (i.e., deployed production applications) I would be interested in hearing about them.