Re: Is Ingres the wave of the future?

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1993 07:17:06 CDT

In article f78_at_news.mic.ucla.edu, ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu (Daniel Druker) writes:
-->In article <CB79C4.6r0_at_nvl.army.mil> bajones@sparta (Ebeth Jones) writes:
-->[Stuff about Oracle being about to go out of business and Ingres
-->conquering the DBMS market]
-->
-->Tried to respond by e-mail, but couldn't figure out the address so I'm
-->posting instead...
-->
-->Elizabeth,
-->
-->It sounds to me like your manager is either in bed with the Ingres
-->rep, or is trying to justify a decision he has already made.
-->
-->Take a look at market share and market revenue for Oracle and Ingres.
-->Oracle did about 1.4 Billion dollars last year. They grew by 30 to
-->40 %, between 300 and 400 Million dollars. The amount Oracle grew
-->last year is bigger than it's largest competitor's total revenue !
-->
-->Ingres shrank in terms of market share, and I believe in terms of
-->revenue as well.
-->
-->This certainly does not indicate that Oracle is about to go out of
-->business. In reality, I find more and more that since ASK bought
-->Ingres, people are leaving Ingres off their purchase lists for
-->RDBMS. There have been lots of posts to the net about key Ingres
-->people leaving after the buyout, about poor support, etc.
-->
-->You didn't mention your operating environment, but basically I would
-->tell you that right now Oracle is the 800 pound gorilla that is
-->dominating, Sybase is known for strength in client/server
-->applications and smaller apps, and Informix is strong is unix only
-->larger environments. These of course are generalizations, but all
-->three of these products are good an useable, and around to stay.
-->
-->I think Ingres has the most uncertain future of the big 4. Will it
-->become the ASK database, an embedded product for their manufacturing
-->products ? Why is ASK porting their tools to Oracle if they already
-->own such as great DBMS ? I think there are lots of hard questions
-->to be asked. The local reps for both of these and the other DBMS
-->companies should be able to help you.

I concur! :-)

---

David Crowson          |"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
DBA (ORACLE V.4,5,6,7) | I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to
Amoco Exploration      | move, to get down off this featherbed of civilisation
Ealing, London         | and to find the globe granite underneath and strewn
dcrowson_at_amoco.com     | with cutting flints"
"My views not Amoex's" |  - Travels with a Donkey - Robert Louis Stevenson