Re: Is Ingres the wave of the future?

From: Daniel Druker <ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu>
Date: 4 Aug 1993 01:01:37 GMT

In article <CB79C4.6r0_at_nvl.army.mil> bajones_at_sparta (Ebeth Jones) writes: [Stuff about Oracle being about to go out of business and Ingres conquering the DBMS market]

Tried to respond by e-mail, but couldn't figure out the address so I'm posting instead...

Elizabeth,

It sounds to me like your manager is either in bed with the Ingres rep, or is trying to justify a decision he has already made.

Take a look at market share and market revenue for Oracle and Ingres. Oracle did about 1.4 Billion dollars last year. They grew by 30 to 40 %, between 300 and 400 Million dollars. The amount Oracle grew last year is bigger than it's largest competitor's total revenue !

Ingres shrank in terms of market share, and I believe in terms of revenue as well.

This certainly does not indicate that Oracle is about to go out of business. In reality, I find more and more that since ASK bought Ingres, people are leaving Ingres off their purchase lists for RDBMS. There have been lots of posts to the net about key Ingres people leaving after the buyout, about poor support, etc.

You didn't mention your operating environment, but basically I would tell you that right now Oracle is the 800 pound gorilla that is dominating, Sybase is known for strength in client/server applications and smaller apps, and Informix is strong is unix only larger environments. These of course are generalizations, but all three of these products are good an useable, and around to stay.

I think Ingres has the most uncertain future of the big 4. Will it become the ASK database, an embedded product for their manufacturing products ? Why is ASK porting their tools to Oracle if they already own such as great DBMS ? I think there are lots of hard questions to be asked. The local reps for both of these and the other DBMS companies should be able to help you.

Good Luck,

  • Dan

Daniel Druker
Anderson Graduate School of Management at UCLA

| Dan Druker |
| agsm mail : ddruker |
| internet : ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu |
| oracle*mail : unix:ddruker_at_agsm.ucla.edu |

Disclaimer: None. I'm a student now and I don't care what you think. Received on Wed Aug 04 1993 - 03:01:37 CEST

Original text of this message