Re: Database Links and security

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 4 Aug 1993 06:55:35 GMT

ttg242_at_newton.sps.mot.com (David Thornewill von Essen) writes:

>In article mla_at_132.203.6.11, mla_at_132.203.6.11 (Michel Lalonde) writes:
>>If we create the database link with the 'connect to' option,
>>password changing for those super-users can by managed by a dba
>>but then, anyone who can read the data dictionnary ('select any
>>table' is so practical for developers), can read the password ...
>>Is there any known solution ...
>>
>How are they going to read the password??? Only the DBA has access
>to encrypted values of the password (not the password itsself), and
>I wouldn't recommend placing production tables in a DBA account,
>or am I missing something??

>Regards,
>David TvE

David,

Michel is correct:

23:33:18 avalon-v7sql> CREATE DATABASE LINK avalink2
23:34:25   2  CONNECT TO scott IDENTIFIED BY tiger
23:34:28   3  USING 'ava2_x7'
23:34:32   4  /

Database link created.

23:34:33 avalon-v7sql> select * from USER_DB_LINKS;

DB_LINK

USERNAME                       PASSWORD
HOST

CREATED

AVALINK2.WORLD
SCOTT                          TIGER

ava2_x7
03-AUG-92 23:34:59 avalon-v7sql>

SO FOLKS --
Here's my solution:

-Acquire a client/server network that manages userid's via NIS (aka YellowPages).

-Set up all of your userid's in NIS

-Create corresponding ops$accounts on all of the databases with random generated passwords; not even the dba knows what they are. In fact each database/user combo has a DIFFERENT password by design to enhance security.

-Create all of the needed db links (but not using CONNECT TO)

The beauty of this solution is each user needs to know only his/her network password. When he/she connects to Oracle he/she connects using / which hooks him/her up to the coresponding ops$account.

All user authentication is handled by NIS when the user logins to his/her workstation or pc.

I think the biggest NIS vendor is Sun.

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
Independent Oracle Consultant