Database Links and security

From: Michel Lalonde <mla_at_132.203.6.11>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1993 14:46:00 GMT

We are developing client-server applications on a distributed database with Oracle7. So we have to manage database links. If we create the database link without the 'connect to' option, each user must have the same userid with the same password on each server. Since we do not want the users to be aware of all those servers (and we have a few hundred users), the problem of password changing is not manageable by a dba . If we create the database link with the 'connect to' option, password changing for those super-users can by managed by a dba but then, anyone who can read the data dictionnary ('select any table' is so practical for developers), can read the password ... Is there any known solution ...

Michel Lalonde                  Tel: (418) 656-3632
Centre de Traitement            Fax: (418) 656-7305
    de l'Information       Internet: MLALONDE_at_CTI.ULAVAL.CA
Universite Laval
Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada
G1K 7P4