Is Ingres the wave of the future?

From: Ebeth Jones <bajones_at_sparta>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1993 20:09:39 GMT

Hi -

I have a question that may or may not be appropriate for this group, and hopefully will NOT start a major flame war. I have been using ORACLE for about 4 years now, as was the rest of our lab up until a couple of years ago. At that time, the powers that be in our lab decided to switch to Ingres, one reason being that you have more visibility into files and more control over them. I suspect that another reason was that ya always gotta have something new, whether its an improvement or not. Anyway, we are now in the market to upgrade or get a new database. My system administrator tells me that I should go with Ingres, not only to standardize within our lab, but he says that the reason Oracle is so popular is because its been around a long time and everyone knows how to use it, not that its necessarily a good database, and that he thinks Oracle is on the way out. Opinions?

Elizabeth Received on Tue Aug 03 1993 - 22:09:39 CEST

Original text of this message