Re: Too many open files

From: Tom Donnelly <tdonnell_at_ncrsoph.Sophia.NCR.COM>
Date: 18 Dec 92 10:10:06 GMT

In article <1992Dec17.143430.12081_at_cbfsb.cb.att.com> gerette_at_cbnewsb.cb.att.com (marianne.g.pittorino) writes:

>Hi all!
>
>I am running RDBMS V6.0.36.0.1 and Pro*C precompiler 1.4.8.2.2 on a Pyramid
>(Release 2 UNIX). I have an embedded SQL 'C' process that runs all day,
>processing updates to our database. The process frequently executes a system
>call to SQL*Loader to load in bulk updates.
>
>It seems as if sqlload is not closing its files. After about 100 calls or so
>(the number is not constant), I start getting the following error:
> SQL*Loader-500: Unable to open file (filename)
> Pyramid UNIX Error: 24: Too many open files

< stuff deleted >
 Hi,

	I believe ( but am not 100% sure ) that there is a maximum number of
	file descriptors that can be assigned to a process, and that even
	though you are closing your files, each successive open() call
	increments that file descriptor counter.  You may want to try re-
	using the file descriptors instead of performing explicit
	open() close() open() sequences.

	Anyway, thats my .02.  Any UNIX Gurus out there know for sure?

Tom

These views are my own and do not represent those of my company. No gaurantee, implied or other, unless specified by law. Details on back.
Tom Donnelly               | WIN: Tom.Donnelly_at_Sophia
NCR Europe Group ISS       | UUCP: ..ncrcom!ncrsoph!tdonnell
Sophia Antipolis, Valbonne |
France			   | TEL: 33-92 94 45 40