Re: Thanks for the solution : ) to "extent allocation?" & "Help! Oracle problem or my problem?"!

From: Andy Finkenstadt <andy_at_homebase.vistachrome.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1992 16:59:23 GMT

un_at_gdstech.grumman.com (Un Fu) writes:
>As Scott and Andy stated to me, Oracle first looks for exact fit, then best
>fit, and then coalesce of smaller, CONTIGUOUS, extents when it allocates
>extents for object creation. The DUMMY table creation above will force
>the coalesce of smaller, contiguous, extents into one large extent.

Well, I was wrong about the Exact-fit first. For some reason I was thinking that Oracle did this, but a guy from Oracle (can't remember his name) corrected us. It's possible that I was reading an outdated manual or bulletin or something.

-Andy

--
Andrew Finkenstadt, Vista-Chrome, Inc., Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
GEnie Unix RoundTable Manager, andy_at_vistachrome.com, andy_at_genie.geis.com.