Thanks for the solution : ) to "extent allocation?" & "Help! Oracle problem or my problem?"!

From: Un Fu <un_at_gdstech.grumman.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1992 19:15:06 GMT

I would like to thanks all the responsers to my posting of the following two qestions on the net:

"extent allocations"?
"Help! Oracle problem or my problem?"

Andy Finkenstadt, Scott Stephens => Thanks for the dummy table solution!

				    I am so glad there is a way to get around
				    the problem.  I would never figure it out
				    myself.

To the responsers that told me there is no way out, here is the work around:

					         	 # of bytes

CREATE TABLE BIG_TEMP (PARAM1 CHAR(10)) STORAGE (INITIAL 1000000 MINEXTENTS 1); DROP TABLE BIG_TEMP; As Scott and Andy stated to me, Oracle first looks for exact fit, then best fit, and then coalesce of smaller, CONTIGUOUS, extents when it allocates extents for object creation. The DUMMY table creation above will force the coalesce of smaller, contiguous, extents into one large extent. I tried the solution and it worked, awesome! You might have to coalesce the small extents in several passes if you have many. I ran into an insufficient row_cache_enqueues error when I tried to coalesce 5000 blocks at once.
Un Un Fu                                    Internet: un_at_gdstech.grumman.com
Disclaimer: I am solely responsible for what I am saying here!